The tallest dog recorded by the Guinness World Book of Records was Gibson, a harlequin great Dane, who measured 107 cm (42.2 in) tall on August 31, 2004 and was owned by Sandy Hall of Grass Valley, California, USA. Unfortunately he passed away on 7th August 2009.
About Gibson the World’s Tallest Dog:
• A 2009 nominee for The American Kennel Club’s ACE Awards
•Title holder in the Guinness World Record Book
•Harlequin Great Dane
•Lost his front leg to bone cancer in 2009
•Held the AKC Dutchman Meistersinger Pedigree, which is a prestigious line of Great Danes dating back to the late 1800s in Germany.
• Certified Therapy Dog
• 42.6 inches tall, measured from the ground to the top of his shoulders; measured at 7 feet 1 inch all stretched out and standing on his hind legs
•Born on April 26, 2002
•Passed away on August 7, 2009
• Held an entire regulation basketball in his mouth and “doggie dribble”
• Spoke and said “I love you!”
• Gibson took the title from “Harvey,” the previous World’s Tallest Dog who measured 41 inches
• Gibson co-authored his very own book, entitled “Gibson Speaks”. The book gives insight to the life and journey of the world’s tallest dog
As big as he was, Gibson was just a friendly puppy in a big dogs body, and his active in therapy work, a close knit family life (which includes hording toys from his sisters), and his celebrity schedule. Gibson has been featured in several national newspapers and magazines, he’s been featured on Larry King Live and has also worked with some of the players from the Sacramento Kings.
For more information, we recommend you visit: www.gibsondog.com & www.guinnessworldrecords.com