It can be very frustrating, trying to get your dog used to wearing a collar. It is best to start this process when they are a Puppy and start off with a soft, lightweight collar, not a stiff leather one. There are other other methods you can try aside from the steps outlined below, so you should do whatever is best and that works for you.
Steps to get your Dog used to wearing a collar:
- Hold the collar in front of your dog and let him sniff it before you do any more.
- Put the collar on for a few minutes and praise your dog or a small treat.
- Ensure the collar is not too tight and you can at least fit two of your fingers between the collar and your dog’s neck.
- Repeat the above steps increasing the amount of time the collar is left on each time.
- It is also a good idea at the early stages to put the collar on before/during feeding of your dog.
- Also whilst they are wearing the collar try and distract them by playing with them.
- Eventually you wont have to take the collar off at all!
If you still have problems with your dog getting used to wearing a dog collar, you should consider professional dog training or speak with your local vet for any ideas he/she may have.